This was such an eyesore to me when we were first looking at the house, that I swear I must have said this a hundred times: “When we get the place, we’re tearing that off, first thing!”
But you know there were some factors I hadn’t thought of, mainly — where do we store stuff? The garage was (is) a mess (with a leaky roof!), our attic space isn’t easily accessible or ready for any organized storage, and we have few closets and… a lot of stuff.
This shed off the back porch became a godsend last winter, as it was the only dry place to keep all those unpacked boxes, scooters, strollers, high chairs, tools, lumber, and on an on. But we’re ready to clean-up and beautify the back for summer.
Years ago, this was probably a nice place for the previous owners to pot plants in an insulated area. Great-grandma and great-grandpa were avid gardeners. But this isn’t a nice area anymore. Let me point out some features.
- If you look through the shed, you’ll see our living room window.
- That’s a fiberglass/greenhouse sheeting roof. There are a few layers, and it blocks a lot of light from our living room.
- The gutter is attached with bits of wire.
- Yes, that’s a gate. Presumably to block the previous owners’ dogs from jumping through the broken window.
- Yes, that’s a window. Many panes of glass were missing.
This is the only picture I took of the area when we moved in.
Now, we have plans. Stay tuned.